Sunday, August 13, 2006

Why become a customer?

I started this blog as just another outlet to discuss commerce and the ins-and-outs of running a business. But as I'm linking from my business site I'm also trying to sell a product. This post will be a brief look into why I feel ordering landscaping or plants from Plants From Paradise is a smart move.

First of all I'm lower priced than most retail nurseries and the big box chain stores. There's nothing wrong with a plumbago from Home Depot but you might pay close to 9 bucks after taxes. Also you have to lug it around and bring it back to your house. I'm cheaper and I'll deliver it. You'll love the quality.

But I'm not the cheapest either. If you are looking for a pure commodity, drive down Krome Avenue in Miami and stop into any one of the nurseries. Quality differs immensely. Some places will sell the nastiest things you've ever seen and some are quite good. I've gotten to know the business and I know which nurseries deliver quality. But you have to get that education for yourself and you might not want to invest the time into it. Also, is the minimal break in price worth all the driving and hassles?

I do have a slight competitive advantage. Our nursery is one of the best around! People have been coming for a long time and now I've got an online venture which has been successful for the past year.

That covers plant delivery. But why trust Plants From Paradise to design a landscape? First of all, I know the plants and trees. I know what they need to grow. I know where to plant them. I'm never going to promise something I can't deliver. I have fun designing it and putting it from conception to reality. It's a beautiful thing.

This business has a low cost to entry and anyone can pretend to be an expert. Ask tough questions of anyone promising things that will be part of your home for potentially decades! I'm confident that as my customer list grows and grows, Plants From Paradise will earn even better business from referrals and I'll need to hire managers instead of just landscapers to install.

No comments: