Thursday, May 24, 2007

Planting for the long haul

Nurseries aren't a get rich quick scheme. You plant in anticipation of getting a return on your money in months or years.

Landscapers have to think in similar terms. Many trees I plant will outlive me. This is a fact I realize but now that I'm planting oaks in my own yard I am faced with the reality on a tangible level. I'll watch these oaks get bigger and if they are planted in the wrong spot, I'll have to deal with them down the road.

I saw a gigantic oak in my neighborhood tonight and I wondered if it pre-dated the subdivision. It was beautiful and when the oaks I planted are that big they'll be too big for where they are planted! Perhaps the oak is 104 years old though.

Should I have moved the oak in anticipation of something so far off?

No, because I can always trim it to keep it smaller. If I keep it trimmed correctly, I am not scared of an oak falling on anyone's home.

I love Live Oaks.

No comments: